PhD in Educational Leadership and Management
Applicants for the Ph.D. Program in Education must:
- Hold a Master's or higher degree (Preference will be given to students who hold a Master's degree in Education or related area.
- Have a minimum GPA of0 out of 4.
- "Good" or better rating on the Master's Thesis
- Demonstrate a clear interest to pursue the program in one of the Specialization areas. (A statement of interest (about 2 pages in length) to pursue a Ph.D. Program should be submitted for evaluation)
- Demonstrate English proficiency to pursue a doctoral level work (students from overseas and within Ethiopia where English was not the medium of instruction for their undergraduate and graduate studies must have a minimum score of 80 on the TOEFL (with at least 20 on the speaking and writing portion), or a minimum band-width of 6.0 on IELTS (with no single band/score below 6.0). TOEFL tests must be administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS) and sent directly by ETS to the Department. For IELTS, students are responsible for requesting an official Test Report Form (TRF) of their IELTS and submitting this form along with their application. Test dates must be within two years of the application deadline.
Fulfilling all the above stated minimum requirements does not necessarily guarantee an applicant to be admitted to the program as there are factors such as resource limitations, number of applicants and related factors that may not allow the College to accept all applicants. Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their applications with reasons stated on how a determination is made on their applications.
After making sure that the above minimum requirements are satisfied, the student must:
- Complete an application to be submitted along with an application fee (according to the instruction on the form)
- Submit student copies of the transcript and degree diploma. (If the student is accepted for admission) he/she will be notified to request his institution to send an official copy of the transcript directly to the College.
- Write a statement of interest in about two pages (single-spaced using Times New Roman font size 12). The statement should describe succinctly the applicant’s reasons for applying to the program; his/her preparation and readiness to pursue the program and how he/she can academically and professionally benefit from it, future career plans and any relevant information which might help the admission committee in evaluating the application for admission.
- A resume of qualification and work experience (to be attached to the application form)
- Two passport size pictures taken within the current year.
- If possible, the student is encouraged to submit a name(s) of qualified potential supervisor(s) for his/her research work (especially in cases whereby the student might have been working with in previous research work). Please note that final assignment and/or approval for a nominated potential supervisor will be determined by the department of Educational Planning and Management.
If the above requirements are fulfilled, the Department will administer a general competency evaluation whereby the student should be present in person and write on a general topic that the Dept will prepare. A brief personal interview will also be held.
Analysis of Theories and Application of Educational Leadership
Educational Management and Organizational Development
Ethical Leadership and Management in Educational Institutions
Self-directed learning I
Self-directed learning II
Dissertation including oral defense (10+3